I have a confession to make. Even though potatoes are high in carbs and I’ve been controlling my carb intake, I just can’t get them out of my diet. Whatever way they’re cooked, there’s no way not to like their taste. And they’re even more irresistible when specially prepared, just like what I’ve made for today: Fried Baby Potatoes with Spicy Aioli. Believe me! This dish is so simple and easy to cook, yet it’s so flavorful! I adapted this recipe from Micheal Symon, substituting duck fat and Yukon with whatever is available in my supermarket.
Aioli may look similar to mayonnaise but they’re actually not the same. Mayonnaise is a stable emulsion of oil like canola, egg yolk, mustard powder, vinegar and/or lemon. On the other hand, aioli, which originated from Provence, France, is made using garlic (pounded using mortar and pestle to turn into paste) whisked with egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard and olive oil instead of canola oil. In this recipe, we will use mayonnaise to create the aioli.
With the potatoes’ great texture, subtle crisp in perfect aioli flavor, I doubt you can resist this! They are so good that even Albert asks for any leftover the following day. This recipe is basically mashed potatoes or French fries to the next level and is really great for family dinners! I love this side dish, in fact, I’ve made it many, many times!
- 500g baby potatoes, washed and cleaned
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lime zest and juice
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 10 bacon (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Using a small saucepan, put in the potatoes, water generously and add a teaspoon of salt. Bring this to boil over the high heat. Reduce to medium heat when starting to boil and simmer until the potatoes are tender (when pierced with a fork) for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the water and let them cool.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sriracha, paprika, garlic, lime zest and juice and a pinch of salt.
- Smash the potatoes using the heel of your hand until they are relatively flat but still intact.
- (optional) Fry the bacon in a frying pan. Let it drain on a paper towel till it's cool, then crumble with your fingers. Transfer a tablespoon of oil from the frying pan and the crumbled bacon to the aioli then stir and mix.
- Using the same frying pan, add more oil while in medium heat. Fry the potatoes until golden brown and with a crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the potatoes into the bowl (with the aioli mixture) then stir to coat. Garnish with green onion and serve.
Cook with love and your heart…trust me your food will come out perfectly! Happy cooking!