It’s time to make my own version of Vietnamese Chicken Rice Noodle Salad. What I love about Vietnamese food is that it’s refreshing, clean, healthy and easy to cook. As I’ve mentioned in my past post, I fell in love with Vietnamese cuisine after trying out a Vietnamese dish in Namnam (http://namnamnoodlebar.com.sg), a Vietnamese restaurant in Singapore, with my friends. I took a keen interest on their unique cuisine and planned to visit Vietnam someday. And last month, we did visit beautiful Vietnam.
After returning from our trip, I planned to recreate some of the wonderful dishes that I’ve tried in Hanoi and Sapa. So I brushed up my knowledge of Vietnamese cooking through the informative websites of www.vietnamesefood.com.vn, www.uyenluu.com and www.thuyancom.blogspot.sg. I’m so inspired to prepare Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Salad for our meal tonight and at the same time, I’m excited to use the plates I bought in Hanoi.
- 3 small (about 500g) single chicken breast fillets
- ½ large wombok (Chinese cabbage), finely shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into match sticks
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- ½ cup roasted peanut, chopped
- 1/3 cup lime juice (Calamansi)
- 1/3 cup fish sauce
- 4 small red chili (Chili padi), deseeded, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- a drop of sesame oil (optional)
- Place lime juice, fish sauce, chili, sugar and sesame oil in a jar. Cover with lid and shake until well combined. Put aside for half an hour.
- Place chicken in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Add a pinch of salt. Place over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer chicken to a plate. Set aside for 10 minutes to cool slightly. Coarsely shred chicken and place in a large bowl.
- Cook rice noodles according to package instructions or place noodles in a large heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 5 minutes to soften. Stir with a fork to separate. Drain well.
- In a salad bowl, combine the chicken, noodles, cabbage, carrot, mint coriander and peanuts. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.