After the festive holidays, today, we’ll be starting Vegetarian diet for a week.
This is one of my best pies so far… I’ve added this to my list of comfort food! It’s quite easy to make too. I’ve adapted this recipe from Jamie Oliver’s Puffy Pea ‘n’ Potato Pie by adding carrots to add color.
Peas, Carrot, Potato and Lettuce Puff
2 tbsp plain flour
1 ready-rolled puff pastry
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large potato, peeled and cube
1 large carrot, peeled and cube
250 frozen peas
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 vegetable stock cube
1 teaspoon English mustard
2 tablespoon cottage cheese
1. Preheat oven to 200C/400C. Unroll the pastry onto a baking tray. Score a border (about 1/4 inch) into the pastry (don’t cut all of the way through!) and then lightly score the inner section with a criss-cross pattern. Beat egg in a bowl and egg wash the whole thing.
2. Bake for around 17 minutes, until golden brown. Once done, remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly. Using a sharp knife lightly score around the border, cutting through the top through layers of the pastry only and then use a fish slice to carefully lift up and remove the inner section (like a lid) and put to one side.
3. Put oil into medium pan in medium heat and cook for around 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes and carrots to be cooked for around 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
4. Add peas, butter and flour. Stir occacsionally for 5 minutes.
5. Add lettuce. Cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Crumble in stock cube and pour 1 cup boiling water. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the potatoes and carrots are cooked.
8. Stir in mustard and then mix in cottage cheese and pour into the pastry case.
9. Top with the reserved lid. Ready to serve.