This one of my son Albert’s favorite vegetarian dish. Yes, my son eats vegetarian dishes! And he enjoys this one so much!
The three main ingredients of this dish are squash, spinach and pasta. The squash gives sweetness and nutty flavor while the spinach gives it great nutritional content. Spinach is best paired with soft cheese. As for rotolo, it is an Italian pasta dish where fillings are stuffed in a rolled pasta sheet.
Baked Squash & Spinach Rotolo Serve: 6
1 squash (roughly 1 kg), peeled and cut into small pieces
1 onion, diced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
300g fresh spinach, chopped
some dash of grated nutmeg
4 clove garlic, minced
1 jar (700 mL) passata
6 large lasagna sheets (or fresh pasta)
100g feta cheese
250g cottage cheese
20g Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Cook squash on a baking sheet with oil for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven. Set aside.
2. Heat medium pan in medium-low heat with some olive oil. Stir in onion, thyme and a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Add and stir in spinach. Add salt then cover with a lid and allow to slowly cook until wilted then remove from heat and drain (You can squeeze the liquid using a clean kitchen cloth.) Season with salt, pepper and a grated nutmeg.
3. Mash up the squash using a fork. Season with salt.
4. Heat a casserole pan in medium heat with a splash of oil and fry garlic for a couple of minutes, or until lightly golden. Pour in passata, then add a splash of water to the almost empty passata jar, swirl it around and pour into the pan. Season with salt and pepper, then bring to the boil, simmer for just 3 minutes. Pour the cooked tomato sauce into a baking dish.
5. Cook lasagna sheets for 3 minutes in boiling water if you are using a dry one. If you are using fresh, you don’t need to do this.
6. Cut each lasagna sheet into two.
7. On a clean work surface, lay out the sheets lengthwise away from you. (I lay 4 each time because of my space). Brush them with water, spread a spoon of squash over each the sheets. Spread a spoon of cottage cheese and sprinkle over the cooked spinach, crumble over the feta. Roll up the sheets.
8. Place side by side in the tomato sauce. Finely grate over the Parmesan, drizzle little oil and scatter over the top. Cover with foil bake for 35 minutes at the bottom of the oven until golden and crisp, removing the foil halfway through..
9. Serve and enjoy