This is one of my favorite comfort Filipino dishes. Traditionally, my mom would poach the chicken first before shredding. But in this recipe, I cooked the whole chicken thighs without shredding, and added the vegetables later on.
6 pieces mixture of skinless chicken thighs and legs
2 stalks celery, minced (better taste if you use Chinese celery)
2 carrots, sliced thinly
1/2 cabbage, thinly chopped
3 cups homemade chicken broth or store bought chicken broth
2 cups water
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 can evaporated milk
2 cups macaroni
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large sauce pan in medium heat with oil.
2. Saute onion, carrot and celery for 5 minutes.
3. Pour in fish sauce, chicken broth, water and chicken thigh. Adjust heat to low-medium heat and boil for 20 minutes.
4. Add macaroni and cook for 5 minutes. Add water if needed.
5. Stir in milk and cabbage and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Add salt and pepper to adjust the taste.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve.