This is my level-up pasta. I usually cook it during Christmas or New Year and sometimes during special occasions.
300g minced premium beef
300g minced lean pork
6 breakfast sausage (homemade or store-bought), removed from casing
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 small ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large bay leaf
2 can chopped tomatoes
1 can tomato puree
1 teaspoon tomato paste
Herb bundle of a few stems of parsley, finely chopped
1 stem rosemary, finely chopped
500g Penne or any dry pasta of choice
10 slices of good bacon
Kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1. Heat a large sauce pan over medium to medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil and all the meat, and cook until brown. Remove and reserve on a plate.
2. Add additional vegetable oil if needed. Saute onion, then garlic. Add celery, carrots, bay leaf, parsley and rosemary. Put back the meat and saute.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and tomato paste.
4. Bring to the boil, reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until you have a rich, thick sauce. Add Parmesan cheese, check seasoning and stir.
5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 205C/400F with a rack in the center of the oven.
6. Lay bacon on a sheet pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until they are really crispy. Dry on paper towels and crush.
7. Cook pasta per package instructions.
8. Toss the pasta with the sauce.
9. Sprinkle with the crushed bacon and remaining Parmesan cheese. Ready to serve!