Planning weekly meals has been a part of my chores since my helper Juvy went back to Philippines in 2013. I plan our weekly meals for 3 main reasons: (1) to learn new dishes, (2) avoid food wastage, and (3) maintain food budget.
It was a challenge at first but later on, I managed to get the hang of it. It became one of my favorite past times, or something that I can now call a hobby. I even shared a weekly plan to my friend and teach her helper how to cook easy and affordable but healthy meals. That friend of mine is fighting the big C. I told her that health is wealth and that she needs to nourish her body with healthy meals.
Salmon Pea Pasta
350g shell pasta
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup frozen peas
2 skinless salmon fillets, cut into big chunks
1/2 lemon juice
200ml cooking cream
50ml pasta water
small bunch dill, chopped
1. Bring a pan of water to boil and cook pasta according to the pack instructions. Set aside 50ml pasta water.
2. Season salmon with salt and pepper.
3. Heat olive oil in a non-stick sauce pan and then add the salmon. Cook the salmon on all the sides for around 5 minutes – it should change color to opaque (not translucent) but don’t let it go brown. You can nudge and check inner flakes using fork to ensure it’s fully cooked. Set aside and allow it to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Using fork, separate the salmon flakes.
5. Using the same pan, heat butter, then add onion and cook for 3 mins or until softened.
6. Add frozen peas, fish, cream and pasta water. Cook for 3-4 mins until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Then stir through to coat the pasta.
7. Garnish with dill, serve and enjoy!